In 2015 the Australian Government and Australian Sports Commission (ASC) launched Sporting Schools as an evolution of the Active After-School Communities (AASC) program. Sporting Schools aims to:
- provide over 5, 000 schools across Australia with opportunities to get their children excited about sports through quality and diverse programs
- provide children with positive sporting experiences in the best possible way: by having a go
- support schools and coaches through an interactive website that is full with coaching resources and information to help them run programs
- support sporting organisations in the delivery of great programs that are suitable for children (before, during and after-school hours)
To meet this aim Sporting Schools has partnered with more than 30 national sporting organisations to deliver sports-based programs that are not only fun for children, but also gets them active. Touch Football Australia (TFA) joined this partnership in 2015 to deliver Touch Football programs aiming to help children foster a lifelong interest in the sport, gain a healthier mind and body, have fun and learn sport activities and games skills in a safe environment.
Sporting Schools is a great opportunity to:
- Expose touch football to more children
- Link local schools and affiliates
- Deliver programs before, during and after school
- Access grants funding to support deliver e.g purchase of equipment
- Further employment for field officers
- Affiliate promotion
Who can get involved?
All Australian primary schools can apply to be involved in Sporting Schools. If your school is interested, please register on the Sporting Schools website and follow the School Registration Guide. After your school has registered you can start applying for funding grants to deliver a programme. Please note that grant funding for 2016 Term 3 opens early June. For more information please visit: https://www.sportingschools.gov.au/funding
For information on the program packs that Touch Football offers please read through the following links and documents:
Coaches – all coaches/ field officers affiliated under TFA and have a Working With Children Check are eligible to deliver Sporting Schools. If you are interested, please register on the Sporting Schools website and follow the steps on the Coach Registration Guide. Once completed please email Jocelyn Burnett on firstname.lastname@example.org to confirm your expression of interest. You will be contacted if a local school requires a coach.
For more information contact:
Sport Support Officer
Telephone: (02) 9558 9333